Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Special Metaphor Assignment (Blog Post #14)

most common metaphor sayings
1.) Why did you miss the metaphor?
When I read the post about the pencil, I was a little confused. I actually read it a couple of time trying to make sense of it. I did not receive a comment on missing the metaphor, but I think that was because I did not refer to the pencil throughout my post. After Dr. Strange had made this assignment and said if we changed the word "pencil" to "technology" it would sound completely different. I believe I had written the word "pencil" one time and I changed it and it still made sense. This post made me realize to pay more attention to what you are reading before jumping to conclusions.

2.) What metaphors have you encountered?  
The metaphor that I have encountered is one I am sure we have all heard of. There are plenty of fish in the sea. Meaning, if we break up with someone that we care about there is other single people out in the world. I actually used a metaphor tonight. I told my friend Justin that if he kept on eating he was going to get as big as a house. I am sure that we all use metaphors in our daily life, but we just don't realize it. 

3.) What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
I think we could go over metaphors in the classroom. I would make sure that the students fully understand a metaphor and how to use it. Then, I would have the student's create a list on metaphors they have heard or make up their own. The student's could also find metaphors in the book that they are reading.

4.) Why do we use metaphors?
I think metaphors are used to confuse us or at least some of us. Metaphors can add humor to people writings or even every day communications. It also can help open up our mind of thinking. Some metaphors make you think, especially if you don't understand it right away much like the Tom Johnson post. It also spices up your writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment